Pots are essential for gardening and most of the urban gardeners rely heavily on pots. Though there are lots of different kinds of pots & containers available, with their own benefits & disadvantages (to know more, click here), but it is always fun to make your own biodegradable pots using different materials. The newspaper is one such material and easily available too. Many gardeners use newspaper to make small seed starting pots, but it is also possible to make big pots of different sizes from the newspaper. Let’s discuss how to make big newspaper pots?
What You Need
- Plastic Pot (Size of your choice)
- Plastic Sheet
- Iron Wire
- Paper Tape/ Normal Plastic Tape
Watch the Video
- Take a piece of cardboard. Place the plastic pot and mark a circular shape equivalent to the bottom of the pot, cut on the lines and repeat the process to make another piece of circular cardboard.
- Wrap a full sheet of newspaper all around the plastic pot you have chosen to use as a mould.
- Place the pot upside down. Apply glue at the bottom and paste a cardboard piece. Let it dry for 4-5 hours.
- Place the pot upside down again and apply glue at the bottom of the cardboard.
- Take a plastic sheet (equal in size to newspaper) and wrap it over the newspaper.
- Use either paper or plastic tape to tie up the loose ends.
- Take the iron wire and cut 8-10 equal pieces, which should be 2 inches bigger than the total length of the pot.
- Tie all the wires around the pot.
- Place the pot upside down again and apply glue at the bottom, all over the plastic & iron wires and then place the second piece of cardboard on it.
- Now keep a heavy object on it and let it dry for 4-5 hours.
- Apply glue all around the pot and start pasting layers of newspaper on it.
- Paste as many layers as you like to make it stronger.
- Let it dry for 7-8 hours.
- Remove the plastic from it and your newspaper pot is ready.
- These pots will last long for a season or two.
These pots will last long for a season or two.