ROSES are the most popular flower & beautiful too. Every gardener wants to have a rose garden of his/her own. It seems to be a hard nut to crack for new gardeners. However, with proper planting and care, it is not that difficult to be a successful rose gardener. Let’s discuss about how to care for Rose Plants.
Find the Ideal Place
- Select a spot which receive minimum 6 hours of sunlight.
- Minimum 6 hours of sun will help your plant to produce more flowers & less likely to be attacked by pests & diseases.
- Plant roses in fertile & well drained soil.
- If the soil is too clayey or sandy, add well matured organic compost before planting.
- Water the plant 2-3 time a week & try to water it deep, so that the soil till the bottom of your pot gets wet.
- May increase the water cycle depending upon the climate (if it is dry & warm)
- Try to water it directly at the soil line rather than sprinkling water over the plant as wet foliage can attract fungal diseases.
- Fertilize the plant with organic compost at an interval of 20 – 30 days.
- If using chemical fertilizer, apply the one which has N-P-K ratio of 20:10:20.
- Stop fertilizing atleast a month before the expected first frost.
- Apply fertilizer with very less content of Nitrogen in Autumn/ Fall, as it will help in root growth & more flowers.
- Applying mulch is the best practice for having healthy roses.
- It helps the soil to remain cool & to retain moisture for somewhat longer than normal.
- It is important to leave a gap of 1-2 inches between the stem of the plant & mulch as this lower the possibility of any diseases.
- Pruning is very much necessary for rose.
- Early spring is the best time to prune.
Pests and Diseases
- Normally the following pests found on rose: Aphids, Powdery Mildew, Mites, Whiteflies etc.
- Spray the plant with insecticidal soap to remove pests.
- If the situation is more serious then apply pesticides.
- Click here to know about the three most dangerous diseases of rose plant.
Tips to produce more flowers
- Prune the plant regularly.
- Cut all the spent flowers & deadheads.
- Cut all the dried & semi-dried leaves and branches.