Vermiculite is an odorless mineral. It is a naturally occurring material added to the potting soil. Let’s discuss what is it & how it can be used in gardening in detail below:
What is Vermiculite
It is a mineral which occurs naturally. It is mined and processed into bloated & lightweight soil additive. It is the name of a group of minerals (aluminum-iron magnesium silicates) which look like mica, does not rot or deteriorate and is non-toxic.
It is used as an additive into soil mix and has the following benefits:
- It improves aeration.
- Enhance drainage.
- It can absorb water & nutrients and makes them readily available for plants.
- Free of weeds & diseases.
- Is clean, lightweight & safe to handle.
- Makes other minerals available for plants.
- Good for cuttings, encourage stronger root formation.